Book Your Surf Trip to Nicaragua
If you’re planning a surf trip to Nicaragua, you’ve come to the right place.
Nicaragua is a great destination for a surf vacation.
With offshore wind for the majority of the year, finding fun, quality conditions is no problem.
A surf trip to Nicaragua allows you some similar surf without the crowds.
Whether you’re going solo, with a friend, or with your family, you’re sure to have a memorable trip.
You’re sure to find some good waves for surfers of all levels – from beginner to expert.
This page is your guide to planning the best surf trips in Nicaragua. You’ll find information about where to stay, where to surf, best times to go, and more!
What are you waiting for? Book your trip!
When you click a link and make a purchase, Wave Arcade may earn an affiliate commission. This comes at no extra cost to you and helps us to continue bringing you great content. Thanks for your support!
Top Destinations for a Nicaragua Surf Vacation
If you’re not sure exactly where you want to stay and surf in Nicaragua, some of the best destinations for a fun surf trip include:
Surfing in Nicaragua: What to Expect
Here’s what you need to know about the surfing in Nicaragua.
While not quite as good or as popular as its southern neighbor, Costa Rica, Nicaragua offers some excellent set ups for surf and exploration.
You’ll be able to escape the tourists here and find some really fun waves to yourself, almost any time of the year.
The Pacific Coast is where you’ll find waves here.
When is the best time to surf in Nicaragua?
You’ll be able to find fun waves here all year long, but the most consistent season is from about April to October.
Do you need a wetsuit to surf in Nicaragua?
You will not need a wetsuit to surf in Nicaragua.
Keep in mind that the wet season here spans from about May to November, and the dry season is from December to April.
The water doesn’t dip below the high 70s and get get as high as the mid 80s.
Best Surf Spots in Nicaragua
Some of the best surf spots here include:
- Astillero Beach Break.
- Panga Drops.
- Playa Colorado.
- Playa Hermosa.
- Playa Maderas.
- Playa Santana.
San Juan del Sur Surf Vacations
San Juan del Sur is one of the best destinations for your Nicaragua surf trip.
Where to Stay & Surf in San Juan del Sur
Some places for surfers to stay in San Juan del Surf include:
- Rapture Surf Camp & Resort.
- Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort.
- Selina Surf Club Casa Maderas.
- Dreamsea Surf Resort.
- Bella Vista Luxury Surf House.
Popoyo Surf Vacations
Popoyo is another one of the best destination for your Nicaragua surf trip.
Where to Stay & Surf in Popoyo
In Popoyo, surfers can find a good place to stay at:
- Aqua Wellness Resort.
- The Breaks at Finca Popoyo.
- Buena Onda Beach Resort.
- Hotel Brio.
- Malibu Popoyo Resort.
- Giant’s Foot Surf Camp.
- Nica X-Treme Adventures.
- Magnific Rock Hotel.
- The Breaks Lodge Surf Camp.
Leon Province Surf Vacations
Leon Province is another great destination for your Nicaragua surf trip.
Where to Stay & Surf in Leon Province
Some of the best places to stay in this area include:
- Miramar Surf Camp.
- La Barra Surf Camp.
- Surfing Turtle Lodge.
- Mandla Boutique Beach Hotel.
The best spot in this region is Poneloya.
Chinandenga Surf Vacations
Chinandenga is also a great destination for your Nicaragua surf trip.
Where to Stay in Chinandenga
Some good places for surfers to stay include:
- Los Clavos Surf Camp.
- Rise Up Surf Camp.
- Las Dunas Surf Camp and Resort.
Where to Surf in Chinandenga
Many areas here will require a 4×4 to access. Some popular spots include:
- The Boom.
Airports in Nicaragua
The main airport you can use to travel to and from Nicaragua is Augusto Cesar Sandino International Airport located in Managua.
If you’re flying with surfboards, be sure to compare the airline baggage fees before you book.
Travel Insurance for your Nicaragua Surf Trip
It’s always a smart choice to get insurance before any surf trip.
Depending on the package and coverage you choose, you can be covered for things like:
- Major and minor injuries.
- Transportation to the hospital.
- Emergency services.
Check the full description and disclosures of your travel insurance policy to make sure you get the right coverage for you and your trip.
Tips for Having the Best Surf Trip to Nicaragua
Making sure your have the best surf trip no matter where you go or what the conditions are like when you get there comes down to some simple planning and preparation. Use these tips to make the most of your Nicaragua surf trip:
- If you’re flying with your own surfboards, make sure you pack them securely in a good surfboard travel bag.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months from when you’re traveling, and that you’ve satisfied any visa requirements that Nicaragua may have for travelers from your country of origin well before you leave for your trip.
- Where a decent surfing sunscreen no mater where you go and use extra sun protection like surf hats, wetsuit tops, or rash guards if you’re visiting a warm water destination that won’t require a wetsuit.
- If you’re uncertain about a wave or conditions you encounter, don’t risk a serious injury by surfing well beyond your abilities. Ask a local or find a wave more suited to your skills.
- Be respectful of the local community, other surfers you meet, and the local environment.
- Be mindful of the environmental and cultural impacts your travel may have on the places you visits. Consider how you can make your surf travel more sustainable.