Book Your Surf Trip to Australia
If you’re planning a surf trip to Australia, you’ve come to the right place.
Australia is a great destination for a surf vacation.
Whether you’re going solo, with a friend, or with your family, you’re sure to have a memorable trip.
You’re sure to find some good waves for surfers of all levels – from beginner to expert.
This page is your guide to planning the best surf trips in Australia. You’ll find information about where to stay, where to surf, best times to go, and more!
What are you waiting for? Book your trip!
When you click a link and make a purchase, Wave Arcade may earn an affiliate commission. This comes at no extra cost to you and helps us to continue bringing you great content. Thanks for your support!
Top Destinations for an Australia Surf Vacation
If you’re not sure exactly where you want to stay and surf in Australia, some of the best destinations for a fun surf trip include:
Surfing in Australia: What to Expect
Here’s what you need to know about the surfing in Australia.
Australia is one of a handful of places on Earth where surfing is a big part of everyday culture. Lots of Australians surf!
The main regions for surfing in Australia include:
- Victoria on the South East Coast.
- South Australia.
- New South Wales on the East Coast.
- Queensland on the North East Coast.
- Western Australia.
Best Seasons for Surfing in Australia
Australia has surf year-round.
The most consistent surf and best conditions are typically found during the winter from May to September.
Beginners can find the most suitable conditions during the summer from December to January.
Do you need a wetsuit to surf in Australia?
Depending on where in Australia you’ll be, you may need to pack along a wetsuit.
In Victoria and South Australia, a wetsuit is a typically a must year-round.
In New South Wales and Queensland, you’ll only need boardshorts most of the time.
Western Australia will vary depending on exactly where you are and what time of year it is.
Byron Bay Surf Vacations
Byron Bay is one of the best destinations for your Australia surf trip.
Where to Stay in Byron Bay
Some good places for surfers to stay in Byron Bay include:
- 28 Degrees Byron Bay bed and breakfast.
- Mojo Surf Camp.
Where to Surf in Byron Bay
There a lots of different waves to choose from in Byron Bay, some popular spots include:
- The Pass.
- The Wreck.
Gold Coast Surf Vacations
The Gold Coast is one of the best destination for your Australia surf trip.
Where to Stay in Gold Coast
Some good places to stay for surfers traveling here include:
- Aquaris Gold Coast hostel.
- Southport Dandar bed and breakfast.
- Komune Resort and Beach Club.
- Erika’s Oceanview Holiday Apartments.
Where to Surf in Gold Coast
Some of the most popular surf spots on the Gold Coast include:
- Snapper Rocks.
- Rainbow Bay.
- Burleigh Heads.
Sydney Surf Vacations
Sydney is one of the best destinations for your Australia surf trip.
Where to Stay in Sydney
There is no shortage of choices for places to stay around Sydney, but some good choices for surfers include:
- Coogee Prime Lodge hotel.
- Stoke Surf House in Manly.
- SurfCamp Australia.
Where to Surf in Sydney
Sydney’s surf spots are divided by the harbor.
On the North side, you’ll find a variety of coves, beach breaks, and points that offer a wide range of waves for all levels of surfers. Popular spots include:
- Curl Curl.
- Dee Why.
On the South Side, you’ll find many spots that can channel certain swell a bit better than the north spots. You’ll find a mix of quality reefs here.
Airports in Australia
The main international airports you can use to travel to and from Australia include:
If you’re flying with surfboards, be sure to compare the airline baggage fees before you book.
Travel Insurance for your Australia Surf Trip
It’s always a smart choice to get insurance before any surf trip.
Depending on the package and coverage you choose, you can be covered for things like:
- Major and minor injuries.
- Transportation to the hospital.
- Emergency services.
Check the full description and disclosures of your travel insurance policy to make sure you get the right coverage for you and your trip.
Tips for Having the Best Surf Trip to Australia
Making sure your have the best surf trip no matter where you go or what the conditions are like when you get there comes down to some simple planning and preparation. Use these tips to make the most of your Australia surf trip:
- If you’re flying with your own surfboards, make sure you pack them securely in a good surfboard travel bag.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months from when you’re traveling, and that you’ve satisfied any visa requirements that Australia may have for travelers from your country of origin well before you leave for your trip.
- Where a decent surfing sunscreen no mater where you go and use extra sun protection like surf hats, wetsuit tops, or rash guards if you’re visiting a warm water destination that won’t require a wetsuit.
- If you’re uncertain about a wave or conditions you encounter, don’t risk a serious injury by surfing well beyond your abilities. Ask a local or find a wave more suited to your skills.
- Be respectful of the local community, other surfers you meet, and the local environment.
- Be mindful of the environmental and cultural impacts your travel may have on the places you visits. Consider how you can make your surf travel more sustainable.