The cost of a surfboard is almost as variable as the many different types of surfboard shapes and designs.
Here are some of the main factors that are going to contribute to the final cost:
- Is it a new surfboard or a used surfboard?
- Is it a custom shape or a stock model?
- Was it hand shaped, machine shaped, or a pop-out?
- What is it made out of?
- How big is it?
- What find of finish does it have?
To frame the surfboard cost spectrum, let’s think about new surfboards only.
Starting with mostly “stock” surfboard models:
- At the low, low end of the spectrum, you’ve got your mass-produced foamies and pop-outs in the $99 to $300 range.
- In the middle, you’ve got a mix of mid-entry level pop-outs and “performance foamies” that will typically range from about $450 to $600 or so.
- At the higher end of the spectrum you’ll find a mix of hand-shapes, machine-shapes, and maybe a pop-out here and there starting around $650 and going up to $1,000+ for longboards.
The cost of a custom shaped surfboard is going to vary widely too, depending on:
- Who is shaping it.
- What they’re shaping for you.
- The materials, glassing schedule, colors, and finish you want.
Expect most custom boards to start around $600 or so and go up from there. Most shapers will require you to put down a deposit on your custom order.
How much does a longboard surfboard cost?
A big part of the cost of an individual surfboard is the cost of materials.
Obviously, longboards require considerably more foam, fiberglass, and resin than boards that are shorter.
Most longboards will fall into the $750 to $1,500 range.
How much does a Jet surfboard cost?
The future is now!
There are all sorts of motorized surfboards, SUPs, hydrofoils, and even fins available to turn your water-sliding experience into a robot-future experience.
Electric surfboards like Jet surfboards are typically going to cost about $10,000 to $15,000 on up.
How much does it cost to rent a surfboard?
If you’re on a surf vacation or just looking to test the waters, so to speak, you can rent a surfboard at most surf shops and rental stores near the beach.
Surfboard rentals will typically cost you about $15 to $50 per day.
If you’re taking a surf lesson, the cost of the surfboard is often included in the price.